This impressive Baroque church with its classic Goan facade dominates the Old Market (Feast Day in June) square, the Largo de Igreja, surrounded by a number of fine town houses. Originally built in 1564 over the ruins of a Hindu temple, it was sacked by Muslims in 15 89 and rebuilt in 1675. While the west end is typical white painted plaster, the south wall has extensive exposed laterite. A remarkable pulpit on the north wall has carvings of the Apostles.
The carved reredos is flanked by gold pillars, and there are three Baroque style central pictures. The window arches are in the shape of sea shells while a moulded peacock appears on the north transept wall. There are statues of St Anthony and of the Blessed Joseph Vaz, kept in glass cabinets in the north aisle near the north transept. In the square is a monumental cross with a mango tree beside it.